I was pleasantly surprised at how easy gluten-free & dairy-free gravy was to make. I used to always use a jar of gravy (specifically Heinz, which is delicious), but when I removed gluten and dairy from my diet that was no longer an option. There are a few boxed brands I’ve tried, but I always wanted to try making my own. With a little research, I found a recipe that worked out very well! I used Earth Balance Buttery Spread which is dairy free, but it can also be made with olive oil. If dairy isn’t an issue, you can make with any unsalted butter. This gravy went great with my mashed potatoes and stuffing…both gluten-free & dairy-free too!
I love the turkey gravy boat I got at Pottery Barn a few years ago, its adds a lot of character to the Thanksgiving table! The exact one I got is no longer available, but a similar one can be found here.
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Earth Balance Buttery Spread (you could also use olive oil)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons gluten-free flour (I get mine at Trader Joe’s)
- 1 1/2 – 2 1/2 cups of chicken or turkey broth (or stock) or the drippings from your turkey
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a small pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat
- Add the gluten-free flour and whisk until a paste forms (whisk until paste turns light beige, about 3 minutes)
- Slowly add in about 1 1/2 cups of broth/stock, whisking constantly until it thickens and begins to bubble
- Adjust the thickness by adding more stock if needed
- Season with salt & pepper to taste