This sandwich is perfect for a weekend breakfast. It’s also great to make when you have guests. It is easy to make one or several depending on the occasion. And I love that I can make it Gluten and Dairy Free! When I make this for others I give the option to add melted cheese, but I always omit it from mine to keep it dairy free. I’ve also used smashed up avocado as the spread instead of the mayo if you’d like to try that version. Enjoy!
- Udi’s Gluten Free Sandwich Bread (I buy the large loaf at either Costco or in the frozen section at Target… that is where I have found it the cheapest)
- 1 Egg (per sandwich)
- 2 pieces of bacon (per sandwich)
- 1 Roma Tomato sliced (I use 1/2 a tomato per sandwich so if you are making 4 sandwiches you’ll need 2 tomatoes)
- Primal Kitchen Chipotle Lime Mayo (you can purchase on Amazon HERE or directly on their website HERE)
- Pepper (to taste)
- Any slice or shredded Cheese (omit if you want to keep it Dairy Free)
To cook the bacon,
- Preheat oven to 415º (I like to make my bacon in the oven to avoid the splatter mess and the extra work it takes to monitor on the stovetop)
- Line a baking sheet (with sides) with aluminum foil and put a single layer of bacon on the foil (I cook 2 pieces of bacon per sandwich)
- Bake the bacon for 10 minutes and then flip. Put back in the oven for an additional 6-8 minutes (until crispy).
- Remove bacon from foil and put on a plate covered with paper towels to absorb the grease
To cook the egg,
- Preheat small pan on stovetop on medium heat
- Spray the pan with non-stick cooking spray (I use Trader Joe’s Olive Oil Spray)
- Crack egg into small bowl and scramble. Pour scrambled egg into pan and cook for 2 minutes on each side
- If you are going to add cheese to the sandwich, add the cheese on top of the egg after it’s flip the first time so it melts nicely
Now that the bacon and egg are cooked you can assemble the sandwich…
- Lightly toast the Udi’s bread
- Spread Chipotle Lime Mayo (or smashed avocado) on both pieces of toast
- On one piece of toast, layer egg, bacon (I split each piece of bacon in half so it fits on the bread), arugula, and tomato (I put cracked pepper on top of the tomato for flavor)
- Top with second piece of toast and enjoy!